Friday, September 10, 2010

A Mother's Love?

Some of you may recall Bill Cosby and some of his stories. He talked about violence and mothers and how violent they can be. He said how they would threaten their kids with hitting them into the middle of next week. His response was "please do because I am having a tough time this week". Well today I saw a mother threatening to knock her kid's head off if he didn't stop acting up. She had a hold of him and was staring directly into his eyes. I thought he was going to die from the stare alone. Thankfully he stopped misbehaving because it would not have been very pretty seeing his head come off. Not a sight I want to see. She finally let him go and finished up her business and left. And yes she took the child with her! I was grateful he left in one piece like he came in!

I was glad my mother didn't threaten me like that when I was a kid! I may not have made it through childhood with the way I behaved sometimes. I started thinking about our relationship with God and how we disobey Him sometimes. Well Okay! A lot! I am glad that He doesn't respond to us the way this mother did to her child. He responds to us in grace and mercy instead of anger and wrath like we deserve. He could have chosen to take us out like we deserve but instead chose to send His Son Jesus to pay for our sin and offer us forgiveness in place of justice. He is not prone to emotional outbursts and fits of anger like some. He is loving in all His actions and desires only the best for people. We serve a God who doesn't change with the weather or with the circumstances we face. He loves us with an everlasting love and is more patient with us than the best mother that ever lived. Remember that even David, after committing adultery and murder, was forgiven and called a man after God's own heart. Next time when you are tempted to threaten a child, remember how God treats you when don't act right in His eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment