Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fighting for a Spot

After getting up one morning, I wen to the kitchen and opened the door to the outside. I wanted to see what the weather was like and check the temperature. I was also hoping to see if any hummingbirds were around at the feeder. I didn't see any but I did see something else going on. The deck was full of sparrows who were sitting all over the railing and everything else including the cross I put up on the deck. What got my attention was the fact that it was the cross that seemed to be where the birds wanted to be able to perch. They were all trying to get a spot on the cross. Some would fly up and push another bird off while others would wait and as soon as a spot would become vacant another bird flew to fill it. Some were more aggressive than others to hold their place on the cross. I watched this go on for several minutes and the whole time God was speaking to me and what it was He wanted me to learn from the birds.

I looked at the cross and realized that the cross means different things to different people today. Some see it as a sign of division and strife while others see it simply as a religious symbol with no relevance for today. Some people wear the cross as piece of jewelry and it has no impact on them. Yet, and thankfully so, there are others who see it and understand its meaning and its importance. The cross was developed as a means of execution by man but God used it a means of sacrifice of the Lamb of God. God planned for that sacrifice before He even created the world. He knew it would cost Him His Son but He went through with creation all the same. It was the cross that Jesus died on that drew men and women to Himself. He said if I be lifted up I will draw all men unto myself. He is still doing that today. When you look at the cross, what do you see and how do you respond? Or do you not give it a second thought? One of my favorite hymns says it best when it comes to the cross. So I'll cherish the old rugged cross till my trophies at last I lay down: I will cling to the old rugged cross and exchange it some day for a crown.

Are you like one of those birds who were trying to get to the cross or trying to stay at the cross when you got there? Even the birds understand the attraction of the cross! I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment