Monday, July 11, 2011

What Was the Bird Thinking?


Sunday I went out to check the flowers and see if the weed killer did its thing. I like most people have a constant battle with the ever present weeds. As I was checking the flower bed I happened to catch a glimpse of something under one of the flowers. When I took a closer look, I realized it was a bird's egg. There are no trees or even bushes near these flowers. My great deductive mind kicked in and I concluded that some bird had to lay the egg there. My first thought was what stupid bird would lay an egg on the ground and not in a nest. I couldn't get that egg out of my mind. When that happens I know that God must be trying to teach me something.

There were three things that I heard God telling me about the egg. The first thing was that the egg was alone where it laid on the ground. One thing that we know is that God has promised we would never be alone. He tells us that He would never leave us alone but would always be there for us. The fact is everyone has felt alone at some point but that doesn't mean God left us. When we feel that guess who mopved. I also had the thought that sometimes we as people don't make wise choices when it comes to life. How many times have you ever made a choice and realized afterward that you made the wrong choice? I know I have done it. Thank God for His grace in those times! We, like the bird, put our future in the wrong location. We need to make sure that we place our trust and our future in God's hands and not in anything else. When we do that we can assure our legacy will be there when we depart this earth. The third thing is that the egg would never become fertile laying there. Our dreams and goals that God gives us become fertile and grow when blessed by God and empowered by the Holy Spirit. That is why God gives us our dreams in the first place. He wants to help us grow and become everything He has planned for us. But many, like the bird laying this egg, are careless with our dreams and give up on them.

If this egg would have been laid in a nest and kept safe and warm like God planned for it, it would probably hatch and the world would see another robin flying around in spring looking for some nice fat worms. How about you? Where do you keep your egg? I hope it stays in God's nest!

No comments:

Post a Comment