Tuesday I woke up and was going about getting ready for work when I realized something was wrong. My tongue felt something wasn't right with a tooth. I felt one tooth was missing a chunk from it. I looked at my mouth with a dental mirror and confirmed what I thought. I got dressed and left for work. As soon as I was at work, I called the dentist and was blessed to find they had an opening becuase someone cancelled. I went to the dentist and they checked the tooth out. The dentist proceeded to remove the old filling and clean up the tooth. He restored the tooth and told me to be careful not to eat anything hard. He told me it would need some further work. I was glad to get it done and get back to work. Of course the tooth seemed to hurt worse after he was done than it did before.
While I was driving home, I knew God was teaching me something from this experience. I realized that God is much like the dentist when it comes to our lives. He made us to be in a relationship with Him. But Adam messed that up and caused that relationship to be broken as a result of sin. But He loved us so much He sent His Son to this earth to restore the relationship. He takes what is messed up and hurting and brings it back to where He had planned for it to be all along. He desires to remove the old filling (sin) and repalce it with His grace and restore us to wholeness. And just like the dentist, it is not a pain free experince. You see it is because of the pain of sin that we realize something is wrong. Just like a cavity in a tooth leads to pain, sin in our lives brings pain to our spirit. Like most folk, I will call the dentist when the pain gets too bad. When I finally admit to myself that I have sinned and need forgiveness, I go to God confessing my sin and seeking His forgiveness. He then takes my sin and restores my joy and peace in Him. He makes the pain of the sin go away. And just like the dentist, we end up going back to Him when we mess it up again. The awesome thing is that He doesn't mind because He knows us but desires better things for us.
The thing that really made me think about the dentist visit was what the dentist wants to do to fix the tooth more permanently. He scheduled a visit to put a crown on the tooth next month. I thought about what God has planned for us when we go to be with Him. He has promised a crown to all who are faithful no matter what we did before we met Him as Lord! What a cool thought!
No comments:
Post a Comment