Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas: A Season of Joy?

Christmas! Just as the song says , I believe it can be "The Most Wonderful Time Of the Year". You see the faces of kids checking out all the toys they want for Christmas. All the stores decorate to entice the shoppers to buy their goods. There are all kinds of parties that are scheduled. Families come together for meals and to share stories and memories of Christmas past. Homes in our neighborhoods are lit up with all kinds of lights and yard decorations. But we often forget that this time of year many folks feel sad because they have lost a loved one that year. I know several people who have experienced such loss. This season was the first Christmas without their precious loved one. The memories seem to increase their sense of loss. Some of those folks who have passed away loved Christmas which makes it even harder for the ones left behind. But until God comes back for His people, there will be many others who will experience the same loss.

I recall the first Christmas that I celebrated after my own mother passed away. It was strange feeling not having her here to celebrate Christmas. I missed having her here but there was thing that I did realize. She was celebrating her first Christmas with Jesus in Heaven. She was walking around without crutches and no more cancer. For the first time in her life she was enjoying the Christmas season free of any pain or heartaches. She was now with others in my family that have left their earthly existence for an eternal one. As much as I loved them I would never want them to give that up to be here. I certainly wouldn't want to come back here if I was there! The other thing I realize is that if God tarries until after next Christmas, there will be more who will go through the same experience. My hope is that God would come back quickly so no one else will have to suffer such loss. I look forward to the day when we celebrate Christmas in our heavenly home.

I trust that you had a great Christmas and that God will bless you in the coming year. Look forward to the time we will celebrate our last Christmas here and go to celebrate it with all those who really know what it means to celebrate Christmas in the most glorious way!

No comments:

Post a Comment