Once again I was reminded that watching Charlie Brown can be a great way to learn some basic truths about life. As it is now the Christmas season, a local channel was running "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" which told the story of Charlie Brown taking part of a spelling bee at his school then going on to the national bee. Charlie Brown was doing really good and it came down to him and one other boy. All his friends were cheering him on and were all excited until the last word. His last word was " beagle" and he missed it. Of all the words for him to miss. He felt depressed and left the building with Linus and Snoopy for the long, lonely bus trip home. He stayed home the next day because he couldn't face his friends. Linus went to Charlie Brown's house and told him something that caught my attention really quick. Linus told him that even though he lost the world didn't come to s stop. His team even won their first game of the season. Charlie Brown thought about it then got up and got dressed. Even though he came in second, life went on for everyone.
I pondered how many times in my own life that when I failed or really messed up I would feel like Charlie Brown. I would often think that life was over and that noone would like me anymore because of it. My emotions would overtake common sense and I would have a good old fashioned pity party for myself. I still do that even today if I don't keep my feelings in check. I think about the times I fail God and that He couldn't love me anymore because I let Him down. But just like Linus, He is always there to remind me that His love is not contingent on my being obedient or always being victorious in an endeavor. He showed His love to me that while I was still a sinner He sent Christ to die for my sins and to give me hope and a restored relationship with Him. I just need to go to Him and ask forgiveness and He gives it to me. His love is like Linus' friendship with Charlie Brown. Linus never cares if Charlie Brown messes up or not. He is just a faithful friend to Charlie Brown. We could all use friends like that in our lives. And we have such a friend in Jesus Christ. Learn what you can from your failures and mistakes and move on with life.
None of us are perfect and will never be until we are with Christ in eternity. But until then let's keep pressing on with life and don't let our shortcomings stop us from living a life that pleases God!When you fail , get up and get dressed and see what lies in store for you!
No comments:
Post a Comment