Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Season of MIxed Emotions


The Christmas holiday is one that is often full of joy and happiness for many. Children look forward to getting a tree and waking up to wonderful presents under it on Christmas morning. Friends and families come together to celebrate the season at homes and parties. However, there are those who find Christmas a difficult season because the loss of a loved one this year or in the years past. I was looking at a video about a tribute to service folks that have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. I saw some video clips that touched my heart because their families will be without them. I was reminded of the pain that they endure each and every day. Especially at this time of the year!

Having served myself in the Air Force towards the end of the Cold War, I know the pain of being seperated from family at the holiday. I am thankful that my family only had a short term seperation from me. The families of those who have lost their lives these past few years now endure the pain of seperation for the rest of their lives. Many families this year will celebrate Christmas without their loved ones who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Freedom is not Free! It cost a heavy price. Our freedom is paid for with the lives and the blood of people willing to give their lives to buy it and keep it. Those who die in the service of their country pay for it and the families of those same service men and women suffer that same cost. We cannot stay free without the price. I saw many video clips and pictures of fallen heroes which have given that last full measure of devotion. I saw pictures of loved ones that were leaning on flag drapped coffins as the remains of their loved ones came home for good. I think about the mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, husbands and wives and fellow soldiers and airmen who have lost family members and comrades. These men and women are heroes in every sense of the word. At this time of year I am also reminded that God Himself knows the cost of freedom as well. We celebrate the birth of his Son who came as a baby to die for us so that we might have freedom from sin. Freedom from sin was paid for by the life and blood of Jesus Christ. He was victorious over sin and death.

My heart's prayer for those who have lost loved ones because of the price of freedom is that God will in this time of celebration grant you peace and comfort to you and your families. We all owe a debt of gratitude to those who have served or are serving now to protect our freedom. I would encourage those of you who know families that have lost ones that you will call them or send them a card telling them that they are not forgotten and that there are those who garteful for the sacrifices made. Nothing could ever make up for what they have lost but their fallen heroes will always be remembered. Not just now at Christmas but every time we see Old Glory waving free in the breeze. Merry Christmas and may God bring you peace in 2012. Who knows? Maybe next year we will celebrate Christmas with the one who is the reason for the season, Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment