This morning when I turned on the news I heard that a Navy Seal team had gone in to a compound in Pakistan after a helicopter attack and took out Osama Bin Laden. They shot and killed him and took his body for identification. The reports said that his body was buried at sea within 24 hours after his death according to Muslim beliefs. People all over celebrated when the news was made known about his death. A lot of people cheered and chanted USA USA! I lost a friend in the 9/11 attack. I am glad that the criminal behind the attack has been taken out but my heart has also been reminded about another fact of this terrorist's death.
I had mixed emotions when I heard that he was killed in an attack against the compound where he was hiding. I was glad but I was also saddened at the same time. I am sure there are those who would ask me why I would be sad that he was dead. The reason is simply this. Over 2000 years ago Jesus came to this earth to die for the sins of mankind. He suffered and died that we might have forgiveness of sin and have eternal life. Jesus didn't die for just some people. He died once for all people. He died for you and I but He also died for Bin laden and every other Muslim and every person no matter what their religious belief. We are sinners in need of salvation or we face the reality of hell. Unfortunately, Bin Laden went to his death and now faces eternal separation from God. Jesus died for him but he never knew the truth or refused to accept the truth about Jesus. The fact is Jesus loved Bin Laden as He loves all people. Now the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross for Bin Laden will do nothing for Bin Laden. It states in Hebrews 9:27 that it is appointed for man to die once then the judgment. God does not want any to perish but all to come to eternal life. Sadly, Bin Laden will never realize how much God loved him. The thing that should break each of our hearts is that Bin Laden will not be the only one who will die apart from Christ. We need to spread the good news to those who are pershing.
Was justice served with Bin Laden's death? We would all probably say yes. Does his death bring back may friend or the others who died that day? No but it does bring a sense of closure for us in regards to 9/11. But still my heart or even better yet, God's heart, is broken because someone Jesus died for died in his sins and will spend eternity in hell. What about you? What does your heart speak to you?
I want to also take this time to say thank you to all the service men and women who have served and are serving this country and have even given their lives for us. Those who have continued the fight against terrorism may God bless you and keep you safe in the battles you face!
No comments:
Post a Comment