Today I attended the funeral of a man who I have always admired having served with him as the children's pastor at the church where he pastored for many years. His wife passed away last year and now he has left this earth and joined her in Heaven. The service was well attended and he was honored in so many ways but no more than the fact that he left a legacy of faith for his family and friends to follow. I know personally of that legacy which makes him a great man of faith who will be missed.He passed the baton to those who are left behind to carry on.
As I sat listening to his family members and fellow ministers share about Pastor Morris'life, I was impressed by the fact he never sought titles or greatness. He wasn't concerned about accumulating wealth or material possessions. He had one desire for his life. He wanted to please God and be faithful to Him in everything he did. He was a servant to God and other people. If you were to look at his life and judge it according to the world's standards, some would say he wasn't successful. After all, he didn't gain fame and power and all the things the world thinks are signs of success. Pastor Morris never cared if he would meet those standards. He wanted to be seen as successful in God's eyes. I think of many who were so much more concerned about temporal things of this earth than they were about their own eternity. They gave up eternity for something fleeting. Pastor Morris is now receiving his reward for his faithfulness. These rewards will never be taken from him.
No comments:
Post a Comment