Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Matter of Faith

Today Heidie and I saw and talked with a woman whose daughters were in our Kids Church when we were at Harrisburg, Pa. Sally was always faithful in making sure her girls were always in church each week. Both Emily and Susie were were wonderful young ladies as they were growing up. I counted it a honor to have been their children's pastor. We had found out a couple of weeks ago that Emily had passed away and her funeral was the day we found out. Our hearts were saddened to hear of her passing. We cannot ever fully understand why God allows some things to happen and other things he prevents. I have been asked by some folks why God does what he does. My answer has always been "I don't know".

Today we had the opportunity to share with Sally and ask her about what happened to Emily. She shared with us some of the facts about her passing. It was an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to her passing. You could sense her grief as she talked with us. But there was something else that also came through her words. She acknowledged that God was in control and that even if we do not understand what it is he is doing. She stated it was her faith that makes it possible to get through these difficult and even tragic times. She told us that she cannot understand how anyone can get through this type of tragedy and not have a belief in God to see them through it. She knows the pain of the loss and even with God's help it is very hard at times. The sad thing is that there are those folks out there that don't have anyone to rely on when they face difficulties. I can not even imagine going through it on my own strength. I try to share with folks who are facing the death of a loved one that God loves them and is there for them. Sadly some blame God for their loss even if the loved one did something that led to their death. I remember that all I can do for them is to prayer for them and ask if there is anything I can do for them.

I am glad that Sally is comforted by the fact that one day she will see her precious Emily again when she goes to be with her Lord. We all look forward to seeing our loved ones who have gone before us. What does is take to insure that reunion? A matter of faith in our own Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment