Thursday, July 29, 2010

Success defined

Recently I was talking with a young lady that I had a as a kid in my children's church a few years back. She saw my wife and I coming out of Walmart and came running up to us. She was smiling and excited to see us. She gave each of us a hug and started to talk with us and began to tell us how her and her family were doing. She told us her little brother was now about 6'3" and towered above her and her mom. She went on to tell us somethings she was doing. She shared the fact that she was just talking about us to some folks and wondered how we were doing. We spent a little bit of time talking and remembering some of the great time we had at kid's church while she was growing up ( and I was growing up along with the kids) along with her brother. We talked about some of the other kids and how they were doing. I love to recall the names and faces kids that i ministered to over the years. It brings back a lot of great memories for Heidie and I. But our conversation make me start thinking about another aspect of my life and Heidie's as well.

We seem to have discussions about where we are and what we have accomplished in life. We look at ourselves and judge ourselves as not accomplishing very much. I often feel that way when I look at others and what they have done. I haven't done anything most people would see as worthy to be called successful. But as we talked with our friend, I began to realize something. I have done childrens ministry for 25 years and in that time I estimated I have touched and influenced over 300 kids. Now some of those same kids are now in ministry or going into the minitry and some are even married. When I talk with them, they share the fact that I ministered to them the love of God and that helped them to live their lives for Him and commit to the call God placed on their lives. God gently lets me know that the world may never know my name or face but the kids whose lives we have touched do and that makes me successful in His eyes. To be thought of as successful in God's eyes is more important and eternal than any accolade that man could ever give me. I need to remember that this world is temporary but His rewards are eternal and will never fade.

So if you are doing what God has called you to do for Him and it seems that no one thinks you matter, just remember that God knows you initimately and is only wanting for the day you stand before Him to say "Well done good and faithful servant"!

No comments:

Post a Comment