If you are like many people, you probably have a scar or two on your body for various reasons. If you are like me, you may have them as a result of a surgery or due to some injury or accident. I have scars from both surgeries and from accidents. if you are old enough, you may remember the old kid's song called "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes". I sang that song many times as a kid and even as an adult I have sung it. I have discovered an amazing fact about that song in regards to my life. I realized that I have a scar that covers the whole gambit of the song. I have scars on my head from a blueberry muffin in high school, a surgery to remove a tumor from my jaw and a scar from where I crashed my brother's new stingray bike. My right shoulder had to have surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff. I had knee surgery on my right knee to remove a bone chip while I was in high school. I even had surgery on my feet to remove planter warts as well as surgery to fix my ingrown toenails. They removed them and took out some roots and replaced the toenails. But just to make sure I was completely covered, I had surgery on my back in 2003 to remove and fuse two discs. The funny thing is the scar is on my stomach. So I can truly say I am well covered in regards to the song. I am sure that each person with a scar has a story behind them as I have with mine.
The thing about scars is that not all scars can be seen by other people. And I am not talking about them being hidden by clothes. There are many that have emotional scars that they cannot or will not show. Those are the worse kinds of scars that people carry. They hope that by hiding their scars they will be able to lead a normal life. But until that scar can heal they will struggle with their emotions and relationships. Imagine you are one of the lepers that Jesus healed. You go around crying 'Unclean! Unclean!" because you need to warn people you are coming so you don't touch anyone. Just think of the emotional pain that causes when you can't touch or be touched by anyone but another leper. Jesus did what no one else could! He touched the leper and healed not only the leprosy but healed the inner person simply because He touched them. Talk about the touch of the Master's hand! Their leprosy was gone along with the emotional and physical detachment from other people. What scars do you carry that no one sees but you? Remember we serve a God who is the same today as He was back then. Ask him for a touch of the Master's hand and let Him take those scars!
I love this - I talk a lot about emotional scars in my blog posts too. They are difficult to detect in some people - and only by some of their actions can you really tell how deep those scars go. We all have those scars - some are very deep and others are only surface ones that will get better in time. I have found that love and encouragement from good friends who are on the same path as I am have helped me so much in this area - there are others that can identify with my hurts and emotional pain. God has allowed many of these wonderful people to come along on my journey for this reason - as a help and support. Thanks for sharing, Chris.
ReplyDelete