My wife Heidie talked about being able to make some jewelry a couple years ago so that year I went to a bead shop in our town and got her some things for Christmas. I purchased a book on how to make things like bracelets and necklaces and gave some introductory information on how to make basic items. I also gave her a tool set and a board used to lay out the beads and make sure of the length of each article. I didn't stop there though I even got her a class for her to learn the basics from some professionals. I wrapped them up and gave them to her. She loved the gifts and has been slowly getting even better and has learned to do ear rings as well. She has made several pieces for herself as well as others. She made a Star of David necklace for our tour guide Ayelet in Israel. She has made some beautiful necklaces for a couple of others as well. She has given some as gifts and sold a couple as well. She tells me she is not creative but I say she is and I encourage her to design some things to sell. I have even accompanied her to some bead shows to help her. She can see a piece that she likes and can get the beads and make it herself. I believe my wife is talented and could make really nice jewelry if she wanted. She just needs to make some time to be able to set some time aside to do it. But that is the problem and not just for her but all of us.
I have thought about all the times I have wanted to do something but never do. I began to ask myself why that is. I came to a conclusion it is for a couple of reasons. The first is because of fear. Sometimes I don't attempt them because I don't want to fail or do something mediocre. Of course we wouldn't have light bulbs if Edison would have let fear of failure rule him. Secondly, we sometimes won't do something because of what others might think. Walt Disney was fired from a newspaper because he lacked imagination. Then there is the lack of time that most of us deal with on daily basis. I beleive that many people are indeed busy and have a lot to do in their daily lives. The question we need to ask is "What I am doing, is it important or is there something else I should or could be doing that would be more productive for me?" When we let trivial things rule our time, we lose time we could be using to pursuing His kingdom and touching our world for Christ. Is what drives us eternal or temporal? If something is important to us, we make the time to do it and we don't let anything hinder us. God admonishes us to redeem the time and that is exactly what we should do.
Now if I could jst get the time to sit down at the computer at home and get my book written. I mean it has only been in my brain for ten years or so. Oh well, I can do it tommorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment